Makeup hacks are tips and tricks that every woman needs to make her life easier, or at least easier when it comes to applying makeup and beauty products. I surveyed top beauty bloggers and YouTube beauty vloggers and am here to reveal the secrets that they’ve shared with me. I’ll share one of my favorite beauty hacks with you first and then I’ll get into the great hacks that were shared with me. Be sure to click on the names attached to each hack to find tutorials as well as other quality beauty information from these ladies.
1. I like to use men’s beard color to touch up the gray hairs around my face between colorings. I mix up only the amount that I’m using for the application so I’m not opening an entire package of regular hair color and wasting it. The brush is very small so you can get accurate placement of the product. Stacie, Makeup Obsessed Mom
2. Use your favorite lipstick as a blush. It will blend wonderfully and it will also coordinate with your lips (if you decide to wear it on your lips, as well!)
3. If you get frizzies in your hair, apply moisturizer on your face (if you have not already) and then use the leftover to smooth your hair down. Shipra, Taneja’s Bride
4. Spray your makeup brush with something like MAC Fix + before applying your foundation. Not only does it help it to apply smoother, it gives it a more natural, dewy look which is perfect for those of us with dry skin. Nikki, Confessions of a Makeup Addict
5. Using tape to get the perfect winged liner! You can see her tutorial on her blog. Katie, From My Vanity
6. When applying a liquid foundation with a buffing brush, spray the brush with a facial spray or toner – it hydrates the brush so it doesn’t absorb as much product, and helps the foundation dry down to a dewy finish. Nidia, Lit From Within
7. Did you ever drop your favorite eye shadow or blush and then while tears stream down your face scrape it up into the garbage? With this easy hack, no more tears!!! Scoop as much as you can back into the pan, spray it with alcohol (I actually use face setting spray) from a spray bottle. Pack it back together with a tissue. Let it dry and voilà! Almost like new! Brigitte, Color Me So Crazy
8. I love spritzing my makeup brush or beauty blender with setting spray to help thin out thicker foundations and to keep my makeup looking good all day. Courtney, from Phyrra
9. One of my favorites is spraying a little dry shampoo when I’m wearing closed toe shoes with no socks. It helps my feet remain dry and keeps them smelling good. I use Dove Dry Shampoo for that. Laura, MrsLolaLynn
10. I am a lipstick addict and love to layer one lip color over another to create a new pretty shade! Not only does this trick always gets me compliments about my lip color but also gives an extra mileage with my lipsticks. Harshleen, BeautyTidbits
11. I alway carry Vaseline Rosy Lips. Besides being perfect for adding moisture and shine to dry lips, I actually apply a little to my cheekbones as a highlighter. It gives a dewy look, moisturizes, and lasts!
12. For refreshing the look of foundation without adding more makeup, which can add years – If my foundation looks a little dry during the day, especially in the winter months, I spray Pixi Glow Mist onto a Beauty Blender and dab it on my face where needed. It adds moisture and gives me that dewy look I’m always after. Audrey, Cremes Come True
13. Using a business card for mascara application, it helps keep application clean and also elongates lashes, if you do them slowly and carefully.Norah, makeup artist/ blogger at Norah Loves Makeup
14. When I put on too much blush and can’t really blend it away I will take a kabuki brush with a powder foundation on it and blend it over my blush. It fixes the problem and makes the blush look more natural all at the same time. Kristin, KristinGehm on Youtube
15. If you’re trying to do a French mani and you don’t have nail strips, use a rubber band that’s knotted in the middle. Put your first finger in the top loop, and put several other fingers in the bottom loop to keep the band taut. Paint your first nail, and repeat for the rest of your nails. Allison, Never Say Die Beauty
16. Use a clear brow gel on your bangs to get a side swept look. This helps to set them in place as well.
17. Use eyeshadow on the lips and put a gloss over it to create a unique lip color.Use berry lip liner as an eyeliner for a unique color on the eyes.
18. To achieve the perfect “outer V” on the outside corner of the eyes you draw a slanted hashtag (#) and blend. Melissa, from Melissa55 on YouTube
19. High quality brushes are extremely important for a flawless makeup application but they can get pretty pricey. If you’re looking to build your brush collection but are strapped for cash, head to the art store! High-end brushes art brushes work just as well for a fraction of the cost.
20. Looking for an inexpensive and natural makeup remover? Look no further than your pantry! Coconut oil breaks up water-resistant materials (including waterproof mascara!) in a pinch so it’s an excellent way to remove all kinds of makeup without any chemicals. As an added bonus, the oil is incredibly hydrating so you’ll notice better skin after just a few days of using it.
21. When I’m running low on mascara or lip gloss I always remove the stopper inside the tube. The stopper is there to prevent excess product on the applicator, but when you’re running low on product it can give you a few more uses out of the tube. To remove it I carefully insert one end of my scissors in the tube and firmly (but slowly) pull it out. Shalott, from Shalittle
22. My favorite makeup hack has to be highlighting or “strobing.” At my age, (51) I need all of the brightness and light I can attract to my face! Highlighting, done right helps make the skin look hydrated, dewy and more youthful. Don’t pack your glow-y products away when you reach a “certain age.” Stock up! Then, grab your favorite highlighting brush and strobe your way to a more youthful, radiant complexion. Erika, Notes from My Dressing Table