The Main Reasons to Add Vitamin C to Your Skincare Routine
- It can add hydration to the skin.
- It can help fade hyperpigmentation including sun spots, age spots and melasma.
- It can help promote collagen production, which in turn increases the elasticity of your skin and can help with sagging.
- It can help to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- It can help to speed up healing of acne scars, cuts and other blemishes.
How to Use Vitamin C
Vitamin C is typically purchased as a serum or a lotion. It can be applied once or twice per day. I personally use it in the morning. A good routine to follow is to cleanse, tone, apply vitamin C serum, and then moisturize, top with spf and finish up with your makeup routine. Vitamin C can be safely used in conjunction with other active ingredients.
Effective Vitamin C Products that I have Tried:
I’ve already talked about a variety of Vitamin C products here on my blog. You can read more about Vitabrid Vitamin C and the DermaE products in these previous posts. Now let’s talk about some others that I’ve tested out more recently…
- Ascorbic Acid (L) – Water soluble; the most active form of Vitamin C. A powerful antioxidant, it strengthens skin, assists in brightening, and helps smooth skin texture. Source: Citrus Fruits.
- Niacinamide – Vitamin B3. Helps to Improve oxygenation and ingredient absorption by stimulant actions that support circulation and detoxification. Increases ceramide and fatty acid levels in skin, prevents water loss, brightens, and helps reduce the occurrence of blemishes.
- Phaseolus Radiatus Meristem Cell Culture Extract – Plant C-Stem™. A vacuole extract from mung bean plant stem cells that offers rich antioxidant and skin rejuvenation benefits. K
2. Pixi by Petra has an entire line of Vitamin C Skintreats. They’ve made this potent ingredient available in pretty much every form, from cleaner and toner to balms and lotions. Their serum is my favorite in the collection because serums are my favorite texture of product to use on my drier skin. It contains Vitamin C & ferulic acid. When I use the product I can definitely see a brighter appearance in my skin.
Avon has some interesting new Vitamin C products in their lineup. I’ve used them for a few months now. My favorite is the Vitamin C Warming Peel because it’s very different from most other peels that I’ve used. After applying the peel product to the skin it has a warming sensation (activated by water) which is supposed to open pores and remove impurities. It gently exfoliates the skin and I feel a little extra glowy after using it. The product is designed to be used 2-3 times per week.
All of the Avon Vitamin C products are allergy-tested, dermatologist-tested and are suitable for sensitive skin. I received the products as pr samples and have also purchased them myself and will continue to do so.
REN Radiance Glow Daily Vitamin C Cream – This product is new from the REN Clean Skincare line. It’s a daily, lightweight gel cream. This product is different than the others that I’ve tried with its ingredient list. It is formulated to gently deliver a brighter, more hydrated complexion. The entire REN line is cruelty free, gluten free, has no parabens or sulfates, etc.
- Vitamin C: Helps even the skin tone by reducing and preventing hyperpigmentation.
- Magnesium: Improves skin luminosity and radiance by hydrating the skin.
- Tara Pods Extract: Activates when in contact with the skin’s natural microbiome (good bacteria) to even skin tone and reduce redness.
Do you use any Vitamin C skincare products? I’d love to hear about them!
*Some of the products shown are PR samples. Some affiliate links are used in this post. Thanks for your support!