Do you walk out your front door in the morning and want to turn around and head back inside due to the heat and humidity? I’m over here raising my hand high in the sky because it’s hotter than heck right now and so humid that I feel like I’m pretty much breathing in liquid. For real! That’s how a Texas summer goes. I don’t love it, but I live with it because I really love where I live. I adapt my summer makeup to accommodate the conditions and thought I’d share some of my favorite tips and products with you.
Summer Makeup Tips and Recommendations
- Wash your face morning and night. When you’re outside in the heat and humidity you sweat. You want your skin to be free of dirt and the salty residue that’s left behind after a sweat session. Makeup goes on best to clean skin. In addition, you don’t want to sleep with a days worth of makeup and sweat on your skin. Use a cleanser of your choice for your skin type.
- Use a primer, especially on the center of your face to help prevent a shiny face. I’ve been enjoying the Amazing Cosmetics Anti-Aging Face Primer. It’s nice on its own if you have pretty skin. For those of us who prefer to cover up a few things, this works great under makeup for a nice smooth finish by filling in lines and wrinkles while providing a nice amount of moisture.
- You can use a tinted moisturizer rather than a full coverage foundation for a “skin peeking through” look. These give a clean fresh look, especially in the summer. My favorites are from Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer and Kimiko Beauty Hydrating Tint.
- If you prefer a full coverage foundation, use one that is known to stay put all day. A beauty blogger and makeup artist favorite is always Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup. I recently tried the Anti-aging from Senegence and find it to be fantastic. I have a full review on that one coming soon. You have to purchase this product from a rep. as it’s not sold in stores.
- If needed, use oil blotting sheets to soak up excess oil and sweat. Using a gentle blotting motion is best so that you don’t disturb your foundation, blush and/or bronzer by rubbing. I love the oil blotting papers from Shisheido and Tatcha.
- Cream blush is especially nice in the summer months. It easily blends into skin for a moisturized sunkissed look. I’ve been loving the Pixi Sheer Cheek Gel in Natural and NUDESTIX Gel Color Lip + Cheek Balm this summer.
- Set your foundation with powder. Only apply the powder to the center of the face. You can follow-up with a makeup setting spray if you choose to as well. My favorites are Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Setting Spray and MAC Cosmetics Fix Plus.
- Waterproof mascara is not my favorite therefore I never wear it unless I’m swimming or at a funeral. There is also a type of mascara called ‘tubular mascara” that is great to wear in the heat. It’s easy to remove at the end of the day and doesn’t flake or smear in the heat. The two that I’ve tried and recommend are Blinc Mascara and No 7 Stay Perfect Mascara.
- Waterproof eyeliner is a must for me in the heat and humidity so that I don’t end up with raccoon eyes. There are so many great eyeliners out there. My personal favorites are MAC Cosmetics Eye Kohl and Dior Waterproof Eyeliner Crayon.
- Before applying your eyeshadow use a good base. The base will minimize creasing and create a base for the shadow to cling to so it lasts longer. I love using MAC Paint Pots for some color and the Nars Pro-Prime Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base when I want a transparent lid primer.
Do you have any summer makeup tips or products to share with us? Leave them in the comments below.