Who else loves a hot drink on a cold winter day? I’m here for the hot chocolate on any given day, especially when there’s a shot of Irish Cream added into the cup (shhh…). The latest craze that I’ve been seeing on social media lately has been fun homemade hot chocolate bombs. Hot chocolate bombs or hot cocoa bombs are pretty balls of chocolate that you put into a mug. When you pour hot milk or water into the mug, the chocolate melts and magically releases the cocoa powder and the marshmallows, sprinkles (or whatever surprises you put into them) that were hiding inside.
These pretty surprise filled treats are fun for all ages! You can use any color chocolate and match the decor to match whatever theme you want. For this post, I’m sharing some Valentine’s Day themed hot chocolate bombs that a friend shared with me. I have a feeling that I’ll be making these for years to come.
Ingredients and Supplies Needed for Homemade Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 12oz Bag White Candy Melts
- 1 Tbsp Hot Chocolate Per Bomb
- Mini Marshmallows
- White icing
- XoXo Candies (Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michael’s or Amazon)
- 6 Sphere Silicon Mold
1. Pour candy melts into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds or until melts have fully melted.
2. Spread the candy melts up the sides of the mold until every bit of the mold is covered.
3. Let the molds sit for about 5 minutes & re-spread any of the candy melts that sank to the bottom of the molds.
4. Place the molds in the refrigerator for about 30-45 minutes.
5. Once set, carefully remove the candy melt spheres from the mold.
6. Fill the half of the spheres with the hot cocoa powder & marshmallows.
7. Place a glass plate in the microwave for one minute.
8. Remove the plate and immediately place each chocolate sphere on the hot plate to heat the edges.
9. Place each heated sphere on each filled sphere. You can use the tip of your finger to smooth the melted candy around the seam.
10. Use the icing as a glue to add the xoxo’s to the bomb.
11. Enjoy your pretty hot chocolate!
Have you tried making homemade hot chocolate bombs before? If so, did you decorate them for a holiday? I’m thinking that these make fantastic treats to put together as gifts for teachers and friends. I’d wrap them individually and put each in a cellophane bag with ribbon or a candy/cupcake box that you can find at the store.
Tonya Parker says
Thank you for sharing this Stacie! I can’t wait to try the recipe! xo Tonya
It would be fun do make or share with your sweet grand babies! Stacie xo
Gwen Gottlieb says
Stacie, these treats really are the bomb! What a great idea for Valentine’s Day – and night! Who needs flowers when you have these?
Thanks Gwen! They’re something fun to make. Stacie xo