There’s nothing wrong with growing old, we all do after all! But, as your lifestyle and appearance change, your beauty routine should adapt as well. We’ve assembled some of our best tips and product recommendations to incorporate into your beauty routine to keep you looking youthful longer.
As your skin ages, it loses elasticity and can sag or lose its healthy tone. Luckily, there are a ton of serums, scrubs, and old-fashioned tricks to anti-age your skin.
- Hydrate: Hydration is key to maintaining healthy skin that looks fresh. Try using a face serum to smooth out wrinkles and clear up discolorations. Check out this guide to help you find the right one for you.
- Take fish oil pills: Bolster sagging or inflamed skin by taking fish oil pills. The Omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil help strengthen cell membranes and can have a big impact on keeping your skin fresh and firm.
- Drink alcohol excessively: Alcohol dehydrates you which can cause significant dehydration to your skin.
- Go tanning: Any kind of tanning can accelerate your skin’s age. You will get wrinkles, brown spots and more (and not to mention skin cancers) that you will regret later.
As you age, you may have to adapt your makeup routine to respond to new wrinkles, dryer skin and dark circles. Trying out new tools and techniques can help hide those pesky signs of aging.
- Try an angled lipstick: If you notice that your lips have become more wrinkled, try using an angled lip brush to apply your lipstick. The slant makes it easier to get the lipstick exactly where you want it.
- Apply sheer foundation: Keeping your foundation sheer will help maximize your skin’s glow and natural look. Tinted moisturizer is my foundation of choice for making this happen.
- Use pale foundation: Foundation that is lighter than your skin tone can accentuate wrinkles. Be sure to get shade matched for the most natural look.
- Don’t apply shimmer shadow in or above the crease of your eye. This can emphasize wrinkles.
With age, your scalp slows its production of natural oils which can leave your gray and hair more brittle. Don’t let the grays or signs of damage weigh you down by following these simple tips.
- Dye smartly: Your hair has had a life as busy as yours– chock-full of straighteners, bleach treatments, and messy buns. Make sure you’re taking care of your hair by using a personalized hair color that’s unique to your hair’s specific qualities and needs.
- Try a biotin supplement: Biotin is a vitamin that helps your hair stay healthy and thick. Introducing a biotin supplement into your morning routine can give your hair a boost in volume.
- Take overly hot showers: Hot water can strip oils from your hair which dries it out.
- Keep your hair up constantly: Hair follicles become more sensitive as we age, so pulling it into a never-ending ponytail can damage your scalp.
I encourage you all to reevaluate your beauty routines to make sure they suit your changing needs. Whether it’s an easy substitute, or the incorporation of a whole new technique, there are so many different ways to defy your age and show off your changing beauty.
What parts of your beauty routine have you had to change as you’ve been aging? Do you have some anti-aging beauty advice to share with us?
*This post is a collaboration between me and blog contributor Emily. We hope you found it useful!