How many different foundations have you tried? Finding the best foundations for mature skin can be a challenge. Mature skin has a different set of issues than youthful skin. When you have mature skin you’re usually not going to use the same products as someone in their 20’s or 30’s. Skin becomes drier as we age. We also begin to see changes such as visible fine lines, larger pores, age spots and those dreaded wrinkles. I buy at least a dozen new bottles of foundation each year in the hopes that each one will be “the best” there is for my skin. I want a product that will hide my imperfections and make my skin look more youthful. Am I asking for too much?
I recently teamed up with other beauty bloggers and asked them what their favorite foundation for mature skin is. Not only did I want to know what the name of it is, I also wanted to know why. Here is what they had to say:
- Allison from Never Say Die Beauty says: My favorite foundation is a CC cream. IT Cosmetics CC Cream SPF 50+ not only provides terrific sunscreen coverage to prevent more sun damage to my mature skin, but it is a more hydrating, just about full coverage CC cream with anti-aging ingredients. I consider it to be a win-win all around for older skin.
- Kathy from Fusion of Color says: On myself I use my line Fusion of Color and I use Kevyn Aucoin and Mehron. On clients I would use Mehron, possibly Cinema Secrets and Kevyn Aucoin. I do still use loose mineral foundation and have some friends in the late 60’s to 70’s that still use it. I personally do not like the dewey look. To me it looks greasy on the face if not done properly. I do like foundations that have movement to them, not something that is dead flat or dry-looking. I have been experimenting since I am almost 65 and the last 6 months my skin has changed. I like cream foundations, because you can sheer them down or layer for more coverage and use for concealer if needed.
- Marnie from MsGoldgirl says: My favorite, holy grail foundation is Guerlain Lingerie de Peau. The satin finish/medium coverage is particularly flattering for more mature skin, it doesn’t settle into fine lines, and it lasts all day. The downside is the line doesn’t have the best color range, and at $63 a bottle it’s expensive. However, I wear it almost every day and a little goes a long way, so one bottle can easily last at least 6 months. My favorite way to apply it is with a flat-top kabuki style brush or a damp beauty blender.
- Shannon from A Girl’s Gotta Spa! says her favorite is LORAC Porefection Foundation.
I’m not typically a fan of liquid foundation with my combination skin, but this one is oil-free and moisturizes, so it worked well on my skin. You can read her review HERE.
- Kari from Fab Over Forty says: I was talking this past winter with Chanel national makeup artist Brittany about a foundation that I need that is quick, light coverage and has spf. She suggested to use Le Beiges All-In-One Healhty Glow Fluid foundation to cover my bases and I’ve been using nearly daily ever since. It’s light formula never looks heavy – which can be an issue with foundations on mature skin, but this leaves skin glowy, adds a touch of warmth to the skin and has SPF 15 and is easily applied with the fingers. I love this and have purchased it a few times!
- Marcia who blogs over at Beauty Info Zone says I’m a huge fan of the foundations made by IT Cosmetics. I can’t pick one because they all have different qualities about them. They have a wide variety of finishes and coverage from full coverage to light, from CC Creams to powder foundations to liquids. The CC+ Cream gets the most coverage but their full coverage foundation is terrific.
- Erika from Notes From My Dressing Table says Honestly, I love to mix Cover FX Custom Cover Drops in N20 and Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentre and use that as foundation, most of the time.
Audrey who blogs over at Cremes Come True says her favorite foundation for 0ver-40 skin is Diorskin Airflash Spray Foundation. She’s reviewed it on her blog HERE. Audrey mentions that you really don’t need a lot of this to achieve good coverage. The less foundation on over-40 skin, the better. Coverage is buildable. It isn’t too matte or too dewy and gives a natural, healthy look. Diorskin Airflash stays put, doesn’t slide around and gather in wrinkles. The coverage lasts longer than most other foundations I’ve tried. A beautiful complexion is the canvas on which you build your look, and this foundation gives you a great place to start.
- Heather from Crazy Beautiful Makeup is a blogger and makeup artist. She shared the following: For my mature clients, usually Mother of the Bride and/or Groom I love to use a more glowing or dewy foundation. You usually lose natural oils from your skin as you age, and your skin becomes dry and lacking in that lustre you had in your youth. She says: My go to foundation right now is the It Cosmetics CC Cream or CC plus Illumination Foundation. They are both full coverage, and obviously the illumination is great if you have dry skin. I apply it all over the face with your standard foundation brush. I then take a beauty blender sponge and pat it into the skin. It gives a beautiful coverage, and a nice glow without being caked on.
- And now it’s my turn! Let me tell you, this was a really hard question to answer because my favorite changes from season to season. However, my favorite foundation product right now is actually the Hydrating Tint from Kimiko. This has the perfect amount of moisturizing ingredients to give my mature skin a slightly dewy finish without looking greasy. I prefer to have the “skin peeking through” type of coverage rather than looking like a have a total full coverage foundation. I apply it with my fingers to spread it evenly all over my face. I can add an extra layer to areas that need more coverage if needed. I do not set with powder during the summer months. However, I recommend that as a good option if needed. My greatest satisfaction is using products that are multi-taskers because they save time and this is one that qualifies. I am moisturizing, getting good coverage and an spf of 20 at the same time. And best of all, this product feels completely weightless on the skin.
Let me know what you feel is the best foundation for mature skin. I’d love to know!
[Tweet “Want to know some of the best foundations for mature skin? See what some popular beauty bloggers have to say.”]